Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Mother

My Mom on the left...isn't she beautiful?, me, and my handsome husband

My Mother is simply the most amazing woman. At times in my life we have not seen eye to eye and I know I frustrate her and she does me. Lets be honest..mothers and daughters sometimes fight. But we never hold it against each other and we love each other very very much. She is one of my biggest cheerleaders. She gets excited for me and my accomplishments and my families accomplishments. She cries with me if I am having a hard time. She is wonderful! I cannot imagine being the mother of 6 and being able to be the best for each one...but she is.
My Father would be...no, I know he is so proud of her and will continue to be proud of her as she continues her life here on earth. She never gave up hope and had so much faith. She is truly inspirational. I had an increase in my faith because of her. She was my Dad's biggest cheerleader! He coded once with us there and she cheered him on..."Come on Rick, you can do it! We need you! We love you!" She wasn't hysterical. She was calm. She made sure my Dad heard her. He did. After they stabilized him I noticed her in deep sincere prayer as she held his hand and cried. I saw the concern and love she has for my Dad. I saw the way she prayed...for the Lord's will...yet still pleading to take care of my Dad. Shortly after, she was talking to my brother and together they cried and prayed. They then asked us sisters to come in and to be with them. Together as a family we prayed and asked for the will of the Lord. She told us how faithful we had been...and are. That it was time to turn our faith and to let our Dad go. Each of us stood there and cried as we held each other. The most amazing feeling of peace came over me and I knew that it would be ok. Each of us one by one went over and said our goodbyes. At that moment we had "angels" arrive to visit us...the Thurman's. They stood quietly in the corner not knowing what they had come in on. We needed them at that moment. I do not know if I could have ever led my family the way my mother did. She was so unselfish. She was willing to let her best friend go. She was willing to have a very foreign future because of her faith. During this time she led us in prayer, in scripture, in faith. All of us followed and tried to be like her. I think we did. My Mom lets others comfort her and she cries with them. That is not an easy thing to do. She is also so so strong. She knows the lords plan and she knows where she is heading. She knows my Dad is preparing a garden for her and is waiting for her arrival. It will be a sweet reunion. She talked of the time when she said goodbye to my Dad for two years as he went on his mission. She said it was tough but she knew it was what he was supposed to be doing. She said that it was a great moment when they were reunited after his mission and knows that when they are reunited again it will be just as great and sweet. It is amazing how she finds comfort in this time. I feel I fall apart and forget what I know. I really don't but some days are just tough. I know she has those days. She handles them with such grace.
My Mom is the meaning of grace to me. She carries herself in a way that is pleasing with the Lord. She tries to be the best she can. She loves others. She is a great friend. She loves her children. She loves her husband. She has lived a very unselfish life. She is a hard worker...at home and at her job. She has taught all of us to be like this. She has taught us the gospel and has taught us to apply it to our lives. She is a beautiful woman...inside and out. I watched my Mom closely in the days that I was with her and my Dad. She never got angry with our Heavenly Father, the doctors, others around her. She listened to the information and made the choice to be positive and hopeful. She knew that everyone around her was doing their best. She handled herself in such a beautiful way. My Mom is grace. I love her so much. I know she will be ok. What an example she is to me in my life...my whole life. I am grateful for her. I am grateful that she is my mother. I am grateful for the time she takes for me and my family. I don't know if I can ever repay her for all that she has done. I guess I do as I teach my family the way she taught me. I am grateful for her faith. I am grateful for her. I love my Mom.

8 comments:

Joi Montrief said...

I love what you wrote. It's so beautiful! You and your mother and both such beautiful people (inside and out)!!!

Da Bergs said...

Your mom IS beautiful. I do NOT know how she did what she did. I cried as I read... how strong she is!!! I hope I can be like her one day, seriously. That is my goal.

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed! I hope she reads this post and realizes how amazing she truly is! What an inspiration to all mothers! thanks for sharing.... i do have to go fix my mascara now but really, these are beautiful memories you're sharing!

Lisa Kowallis said...

Little do you know, my dear Shannon, that you possess alot of those qualities of your Mothers. I watched you while you were here and noticed many times your loving way you handled things. You and your Mom were each others rocks, so to speak. You and Dave are great parents and as long as you continue to do those things with your family that we have been commanded to do, your family will be an example to follow.

Love ya lots,
Lisa Kowallis

Michelle said...

In the short time your mom and I served together in primary, I grew to really love and respect her. She is truly a wonderful woman.

Misty (Hesch) Walker said...

wow Shannon... I'm sobbing. What an amazing blog of love! Your mom truly is amazing. Thank you for sharing this.

craigandlissa said...

I was alreday to leave a comment but the wonderful Lisa Kowallis took the words right out of my mouth. She said it perfectly. Love ya to pieces!

Cazier Craziness said...

Tears, tears go away!! :) I remember watching your Mom as each person would come to her at the viewing. Each person full of sadness and she would hug them or put their face in her hands and tell them it's okay. I thought it was amazing that in a time when people should be comforting her, she was comforting others. She IS amazing!