Friday, November 20, 2009

Seminary






Seminary is very important in ones life...some maybe asking..."seminary?? what is that?" In the LDS faith the church provides classes for high school age kids who go before school in some areas. They learn of the Old and New testament in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Church History..Doctrine and Covenants. It starts the day off just right...and yes I went...sometimes at the 5:30 am class. It provides a great foundation in ones faith in the Savior and the gospel. My Dad was a seminary teacher for 5 years. He was a GREAT one! I loved hearing him give talks, teach, firesides. He is a storyteller....a master storyteller. We learned after his passing a wonderful thing about him. One of his students came over to the house and asked to see his "unmarked" scriptures. We looked at her and said..."well, we have his Bishop scriptures, those are the ones he used, but unmarked? Not sure what you mean." We gave her the scriptures and looked with her and were amazed that they were infact not marked. We asked her how she knew about it and she said that my Dad told her class that he studies with one set...marked...and teaches out of the unmarked ones to allow the spirit to guide him to teach and that he wouldn't be distracted by a marked scripture. We were amazed and grateful for the knowledge of this. We knew he knew the scriptures and taught by the spirit but we never realized that he didn't mark his scriptures. A simple story I know...but so powerful of my Dad's faith.
When my Dad got sick, the seminary students did so much for us! So many stories to tell....so much generous acts of service. The first one, that we know of, was on his third day in the hospital...the kids decided on their own to fast for my Dad. Friday was one of his hardest days...I know because of them and their faith that he made it through that day. As a family, we fell apart. We had to rely on them and their faith that day. They don't know how grateful we are for them. We could not physically fast and will eternally be grateful for them in doing it for us. We cried with gratitude for them and their love for my Dad. I know he is so proud of each of them. I know they each know why...he had a way of telling you how special you are and what qualities you possess. They each need to remember what my Dad has taught them...to love the Lord, to live the gospel, to love each other.
On Tuesday after my Dad's passing Sister Diane Rowley brought the kids over and they did yard work in my Dad's garden. I don't know if they know how much my Dad loves his yard. He would talk to his plants and flowers and he got so excited when he was able to plant more. What a kind thing to do for my Mom. She stood by the window and cried as she saw them work...work hard...they did so much!
As we planned my Dad's funeral, we as a family sat down together and thought of what should be done for the program. All of us had the same thought of the seminary kids singing. I soooo wish I taped it!! It was so amazing! We had them sing first. I watched each of them...all standing proud....sing with all their heart. It must have been so hard for them to sing the way they did. There was not a dry eye in the chapel because of the spirit testifying to us the truthfulness of what was being said and sung. I have to admit after them singing, I didnt think I would be able to go up and speak. I was so proud of them and how wonderful they sang. I thank all of them for making my Dad's funeral so special. They mean so much to us...each of them so much. They are such special kids born in this time for a special purpose. We love them. We pray for them. We are grateful for them and thank them.

5 comments:

proud parents said...

Stop making me cry!
I love the scripture story. So powerful and inspiring.

The Bains said...

Me too! Stop making me cry too. No, not really. It's good for us. You are doing such a great job of journaling everything and we are learning from it. The seminary students singing at the funeral was so powerful. Everyone was crying, the men and the women. Especially watching the two Grover kids on the big screen comforting each other. Thanks for another beautifully written post.

Cazier Craziness said...

How neat is that scripture story! Wow. That was amazing to listen to those kids sing. To see tough teenagers break down in tears.. Wow. Your Dad meant a lot to them and they will always remember what he taught them.

SwimmerGirl said...

we all really enjoyed singing that song for you guys(:

Jenna said...

I'm so glad Shan that everybody got to gather and display their love for your daddy and your family. The seminary kids are a perfect slice in the looking at how much your dad influenced others and how powerful his gentle spirit is. I am so pleased that they got to experience him and then got to experience sharing themselves with your family!!!