Friday, October 2, 2009

Peaches


*This should have been posted a month ago, but I got busy...so here is the first of my marathon update to my blog!*
It was news to me that the Church has ORCHARDS! I don't know why it surprised me or that I didn't know..but I didn't. We had an assignment to go and pick peaches and fill these vats full and we would be able to glean the ground as they fell and take them home. So we all went to check it out and to help out the ward. I was amazed at the size of the orchard, and to learn that not only do they have peach trees, but also 3 different kinds of apples, pears, and apricot. When we got to the orchard and our wards spot, we were told that the church had what they needed and to please pick as many peaches as we wanted and take them home! We had one box and two plastic bags...so of course I had to go and get more(: I have NEVER canned a day in my life! My Mom has, but I never learned which was dumb, because I know she would've taught me. I am learning so much from the women here! It is a way of life in Idaho...everyone cans, has gardens, and gets produce off the farms here. I ask alot of questions, which probably seem so bizarre to them , but I really just don't know! So I am grateful to be in a ward with great and talented women who can teach me these things. I decided to can jam, peaches, and make cobblers and freeze them. Let me tell you, so much work, but worth it and so fun! Since it has now been about one month since then, I am happy to report that I have used the cobblers and jams and peaches...so my work has been worth it! I have also gleaned apples and tomatoes from a friends garden and canned that as well. I love learning how to live more thrifty and to enjoy living off the farms, gardens, and orchards here. Next year I hope to have a garden...we will see how that goes...

Our wards peach tree row.
This is what was left over if you can believe it!

sexy peach picking man!
Our little helper helping himself to the goods.
Our humble box of peaches...times that by 6 and that is what I ended up with.

The product! I was so excited to accomplish this!

1 comment:

Joi Montrief said...

That's awesome. You are amazing. I think I even heard of people gleening out here. So they must have orchards here too. I have a little herb garden on my patio if that counts. I have never canned either...but I don't really have the room in my tiny one bedroom, so maybe that will have to wait. hehe Great pictures by the way!!!